The i2i Network is partnering with the Pharmacy Show to specifically run ‘Career Clinic’ consultations (on our stand, PB52) for aspiring GP practice pharmacists. Why? Because we recognise from our own recruitment of GP practice pharmacists, that the transition from community or hospital to the world of general practice isn’t as easy as it may seem! In fact, from our experience in recruiting and placing GP practice pharmacists, the main areas of weakness in the pharmacists seeking to transition are:
- A lack of understanding of what the day to day role actually involves. If you haven’t shadowed in general practice, it is difficult to grasp the nuances and technical skills required.
- Not demonstrating the clinical skills required to conduct the role safely and competently, including a recognition of what is in and out of scope for practice pharmacists. Can you comprehensively conduct practice-based clinical audits, long-term condition reviews etc?
- An inability to articulate funding flows in general practice. Recognising what the GP priorities are and therefore how to meet the practice needs. How well do you understand QOF, GMS funding etc and how your role impacts these?
- Lack of clarity about the clinical IT systems to catalyse and enable the practice pharmacist role. Have you undertaken any tutorials or systems-learning and how quickly can you adapt?
- Not knowing where to start on day one - how will you go about making a real impact quickly and supporting the practice to make a difference on what matters most to them?